Pages

October 11, 2010

Yeah I run like a girl....
Try to keep up!

So it's the day after my big day...........

I thought I was feeling pretty "fantabulous" after my 5K debut yesterday. I bounced out of bed at 4:40 this morning for my Monday morning babysitting gig... Okay well I don't "bounce" out of bed at 4:40am ...ever.... but my feet hit the floor with a 'thud' and I didn't feel any pain. I stood easily and trotted down the stairs without giving my quads, calves, hamstrings or anything else for that matter a second thought. I even debated getting a run in before Stroller Strides this morning.....

7am rolled around - babysitting gig over, breakfast and then off to Stroller Strides to resume yesterday's 'Hi-5'ing with a few of my other rocking-the-5k-with-me Mamas!  ..........  YEAH RIGHT!

The first thing we did post warm up was a moderate cardio burst. I had no real issue with the run, but my legs felt 'heavy'.
Then lunges -
"Are you kidding me?"
My quads started shaking after the first set...
"Okay, so maybe I'm feeling yesterday a bit more than I thought I was."
Then another cardio burst and...
"Wheew - thank God... Push ups!"
Then another cardio burst. Each one feeling longer than the one before and each one testing the limits of my legs more and more.
"What? Now you want me to do what? High Knees, Mountain Climbers and Sprints??? You've got to be joking..." 
You guessed it - another cardio burst and now...
"Did she just say what I think she said? WALL SIT??? H E L P..."

Here's what I realized as Robyn and I were cracking wise with each other to help make the the last several hundred yards of our final cardio burst fun {final with the strollers that is}.  First - Yes, I ran a 5K yesterday-- and that was great. I am and should be proud... but that was yesterday and I cannot rest on my laurels. Keep moving forward. The 5K was a win, but what's next? Second - I ran an entire 5K yesterday. If I can run 3.1 miles, I can give it my all at Stroller Strides for 60 minutes. Yes, Stroller Strides is "more than just a walk in the park" {Honestly - it's no walk in the park.} but I am strong enough, even after a big run like yesterday to leave it all out there on the sidewalk, field, parking lot and grass.

So Kelly managed to build me up yesterday and show me that 'I CAN' ...  and then reminded me today that I still have a lot more work to do.  Oh don't get me wrong.... My head it still in the clouds about yesterday, it's simply a little further south of the moon after Stroller Strides
I'll come back down to earth soon.... But for now, I'm still savoring my little viKtory...

1 comment:

The SassMaster said...

Way to go, Shelbi!! I totally would've awarded myself a box of apple fritters and 3 weeks off of any exercise for running a 5K! It's good insight and the more I read, the closer I get to "getting off my ass." Keep moving forward. As long as some of the other moms out there continue see your back, we can be moved toward forward motion, too. You rock!

Like what you just read??
Then VOTE for A Mother's Musings, Mishaps and Milestones on 'Top Mommy Blogs', 'Top 100 Mommy Bloggers' and 'Picket Fence Blogs' by clicking the buttons below. {votes can be cast daily}
      Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory The Top 100 Mommy Blogs